Monday, January 2, 2012

Things I Learned in 2011


2011 was an interesting year. I've had some ups and I've had some downs, definitely more downs I would say. Sad to say, but I don't think 2011 was a very good year for me and I am happy to see it go. I have high hopes for 2012. However, every year teaches something and here are some things I learned in 2011. They are in no particular order.
  1. Knowing psychology and practicing psychology are two very different things.
  2. Sometimes it is not about the end goal, it is about enjoying the moment.
  3. Forgiveness is not saying, “What you did to me is okay.” It is saying, “I’m not going to let what you did to me ruin my happiness forever.” Forgiveness is a powerful healer.
  4. The beginning of something is always the hardest, but if you can make it past the beginning, you're in the winning stretch.
  5. Moving does not always solve the problem.
  6. No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch.
  7. Mistakes are going to happen, it's how you learn from them that matters.
  8. You cannot make someone love you.
  9. Telling yourself you cannot have something is the fastest way to make that your one and only craving. Moderation is the key.
  10. You cannot make everyone happy all of the time.
  11. Loving yourself is important.
  12. Vertigo sucks. Period.
  13. Stress can do amazing, dreadful, damaging things to your body.
  14. There are a ton of people who actually believe in me. Now I just have to believe in myself.
  15. Sometimes, fuzzy socks are handy.
  16. Being big is intimidating, but it is not very healthy.
  17. Being honest is good, but that doesn't mean you always need to say what you are thinking.
  18. Tornados are fast, but you can outrun them with the proper motivation.
  19. Antiques are actually really cool.
  20. Grudges and/or hate are very intense wastes of energy.
  21. I wish I could meet more of my online friends in person. The ones I've met so far are so cool.
  22. Knitting is fun...and relaxing.
  23. Reading the news can be downright depressing.
  24. Cancer doesn't care about age, sex, sexual orientation, race, or religion. It attacks everyone.
  25. Racism is still alive and well in America, so sad.
  26. Taking time for yourself is as important as making time for others.
  27. There is no such thing as perfect. There is only your best.
  28. Cats can run long distances on their hind legs...and it is funny as hell.
  29. Being limited by genres sucks. I like them all. Well, most of them anyway.
  30. Babies are made of hope and love.
  31. Familial obligations are a thing of the past. You don't owe anyone anything.
  32. Life is short and there isn't necessarily going to be closure.
  33. You usually get what you pay for.
  34. Have a contingency plan.
  35. Saving pennies can really add up.
  36. Do not worry about what you cannot control.
  37. Privacy is an illusion.
  38. Take a minute to enjoy the little things in life.
  39. You'll never be 100% ready, so just go for it.
  40. Find a way to let go of the past, it makes it difficult to look to your future.
  41. Be willing to recognize when you need help and be willing to ask for  help when you need it.
  42. It is okay to have an opinion, just make sure you have all of the facts first.
  43. Sometimes it is best just to agree to disagree.
  44. Time flies way faster once you've had kids.
  45. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
  46. Small changes can make a huge difference.
  47. There is evidently a such thing as having too much paper.
  48. Freedom isn't free.
  49. Smiling is contagious.
  50. Having ambition is very important.
What did you learn in 2011? What will you take with you from 2011? Share with us here if you like.

1 comment:

lizzie said...

I learned to BE ME! Screw everyone else... as long as I'm happy and I enjoy what I'm doing then it's all good!!!